Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Mom

Today is April 16th, my mom's birthday. She would have been 59 years young today. I am not writing this to make this a sad or sorrowful occasion, but rather one of reflection and joy of who my mom was and how my 8 years with her is cherished.
(At the age of 15)
I have heard some women say that they want to be nothing like their mother. They want to be different, try harder, not try so hard, or just anything to break the cycle. Not the case here. I get it now. I am 31 years old and want nothing more than to be like the mother I was blessed to have. I get what it's like to be a daughter of Christ, a wife and a mother. My mom was all 3 and then some. She loved us, she loved my dad and enjoyed caring for others. She was hard working, caring, humble, kind, creative, loving, genuine, compassionate and honest.
(Doing what she loved)

She earned her Bachelor's degree from Cal Poly in animal husbandry. She and my dad honeymooned in Lake Tahoe. She didn't name me until I was born because she felt it was important to meet me first. The same for my brother. She jumped into everything with both feet. She was cowboy boots and blue jeans with not a pretentious bone in her body. She loved to keep a clean house, became a great cook and was a very loving and attentive mother. She loved deserts and made the best pies.

(my mom being my mom on a tractor)


(my mom Jill and her mom Daisy. 1980)

I enjoy reminiscing about her. I wish I knew more. But because the number of days that the Lord had planned for her came due, we will have to wait to catch up. Until then, I hope that my children can someday look back on their memories of me and say the same. Looks like I have some big shoes to fill and lots of work to do. I love you Mom and happy birthday.


(my mom with her dog Shilo and me. 1977)


(my mom with my brother and I. 1979)

**A special thanks to my mom's old college friend Kerry for sharing her thoughts and stories with my brother and I about the woman we call mom. We now have such great stories to pass on to our children that we may otherwise never have known.




10 comments:

Heather Rodriguez said...

Aww, you look so much like your mom! She was beautiful! Happy Birthday Jill!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this with us!

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog entry! What a great tribute. It's sad when people leave us to early in our eyes, but it's also important to know that He has a plan.
P.S. My parents honeymoon in Tahoe too!

Lora said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope to be like my mom someday too. I am sure if she was here today she would say you are a good mom too!

Jonna said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. So very touching. She is beaming with pride up in heaven right now with those wonderful words you just said about her. And also knowing how amazing her daughter turned out to be! Thank you so much for posting this.

Sonja said...

What a lovely and moving tribute to your mom. She no doubt did a wonderful job in raising a sweet daughter who became a loving and kind wife and mom. I know if she were alive, she would be so proud of you, your many talents, and she'd adore your beautiful children. What a joy we both have, knowing w/full confidence that your beloved mom (& my dad) are in heaven w/Christ! Praise God!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother. It's definately very touching. Thanks so much for sharing this with us all!

Gramma Dot said...

Wow! I love how you share from your heart! You are a living testimony of your mom's love and faith. She was a beautiful woman and I'm sure she is watching with awe at your walk.
P.S. Tahoe was a great place to honeymoon. Chris and I honeymooned there 40 years ago!

Brooke said...

Wow Cindy, that's wonderful and fills me with joy to think that you are able to reminisce so lovingly...you are well on your way to filling those amazing shoes sister.

Carrie said...

How did I possibly miss this post?

Happy Birthday, Jill! You must have been quite a mom to make such a huge impact in such a short time!