Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dirt and Worms.....ewwwww

As most of you know I have a few issues with dirt and our children. I was raised on a ranch out in the country. I've raised many animals; 4 steers, 3 hogs and 7 sheep. For my 9th birthday I received a live baby pig that I named Percy. I was greatly involved in 4-H and FFA. I am a college educated woman with a degree in Agriculture Education. I was going to teach high school education. I can weld, take apart and rebuild a small engine and castrate a pig. So one would think I have no problem with dirt, right? WRONG!

It wasn't until I became a mother that I realized I have an underlying issue in hibernation. Now I'm not sure if it's control or the actual dirt its self, but I don't like my kids dirty. Yicky Poo! It gets in places it should never be, under finger nails, stains clothes and eventually, gets drug into my car or our home. Most of you have seen this all play out and you may have gotten a laugh or two. I hope you enjoyed it. It is for this reason that I am convinced that the Lord given us our sweet little boy. Only it's not just Ben that likes dirt...it's Lauren too. Are girls supposed to like dirt? Should they want to dig a hole in the mud with their bare hands? Don't they make shovels or gloves just for that reason. Ick!

So today is Veteran's Day, (and a great BIG thank you to all you Veteran's who boldly and proudly served our country), and my man is home from work today. We decided we'd wash cars and do our fall planting of pansies and snapdragons. (BTW, they look very nice.) As we finished up the cars, Lauren noticed a worm squirming in the gutter. She excitedly called me over to view her find. Now I know I have issues, but worms don't bother me.

Lauren: Look mama, a worm!
Mama: Oh, yes. It is a worm Lauren. (why is he still alive?)
Lauren: Can I touch him?
Mama: Sure. Pick him up.
Daddy (enters): His name is Marty. (He is now trying to throw Marty on Lauren.)
Mama: (Why is he such a boy) Quit trying to scare her. (Let's not make her a pansy.)

By this point Lauren now has the worm in her hand and watching him closely.

Mama: Let's dig a hole in the wet dirt and make a new home for him.
Lauren: (Eyes widen at the thought of digging in dirt.) Ok. Where?
Mama: Go get your beach shovel and dig him a hole.

She races back with Marty still in hand and pulls out her shovel. She flings a few scoops out of the way and throws the worm down. She then decides to rake all the dirt back over the worm with her hands. Ick!

Mama: No Sis, use your shovel. (oh, it's already under the finger nails.)
Lauren: Oh. Ok.

So the conversation went on but to summarize the whole thing ... she managed to bury Marty a dozen more times only to be re-excavated out of his new home and moved to another. We finally made her leave him in the dirt when she had to go inside for a nap. Unhappy to leave Marty and take a nap.

My hope is that today's experience of seeing our daughter's eyes light up in delight over a worm and some dirt will make me lighten up on my dirt issues. If you all would just work with me and not laugh too loud when I tell you I don't like it. It may sound weird, but I am a work in progress...at the expense of our children's fun.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh! Sweet story..thanks for sharing!! Have you seen my 'mud pictures' of my son?? You would never want to play at my house...hehehe.

Lora said...

I love it. I always loved worms as a child. My mom said that I made gutter worm spagetti....yummy! I have a picture for you on my blog of my dirty children!

Carrie said...

How sweet! Marty is obviously well-loved.

And probably dead from all the excitement.

But at least Lauren had a good time and you got a little closer to being ready for Ben jumping in mud puddles and then laughing when there's dirt all over him....and you.

Jonna said...

What a fun day of gardening, mud, and worms! You will get better about the mud-thing, I know I'm not as great as Katie but I'm trying too!

Heather Rodriguez said...

I'm still stuck on the fact that you can castrate a pig??

Cindy said...

funny for me...scary for all men! ;>)

Brooke said...

I love that I'm not the only dirt freak! I'm okay with it, as long as a bath is in order directly after play...that's okay right???