...by its cover!
Yep, that's right. They (who ever they are) say to never do this. But I did, do and continue to do so. In fact...I recommend it.
Here's how to do it. Not sure this is the only way, I'm sure there are other ways. But here is what works for me.
1. Look for the right color. Be sure the jacket is off, or peek under it. Color is important. And beware that some books have a different color spine than the actual cover. This can be tricky if you don't watch closely.
2. Look for the right size. Do you want big or small? Thick or thin?
3. Finally #3 and an important step to always, and I mean ALWAYS do...check the title. Do you really want to purchase a book with a title such as How To Embezzle Millions or Self Diagnosing Schizophrenia? Yeah, no! This is no good for company and could potentially drive them away.
I have used this method twice and feel comfortable in this process. Here is what I walked away with. Take a look....
And...
The funny thing is that the 1st time I did this at the Salvation Army Thrift Store...I paid no attention to the book title. Who cares is they are the right color, size and price. (Which by the way you can score hard backs 3/$1 on certain days!) I got to the register only to find that I made us look more intelligent that we really are and look at the culture we now exude. ha!
1.) Winning Badminton
2.) Roget's International Thesaurus
3.) Harvard Classics Elizabethan Drama I
Pure Comedy!
Here's the 2nd trip, where a tad bit more thought about title went into the selection process while standing at the book wall. There is some crazy stuff out there.
And...
1.) Literature in Critical Perspectives
2.) Anatomy And Physiology of Farm Animals
3.) Today's Best Non-Fiction (A Reader's Digest Compilation)
Who said you can't and/or should judge a book by it's cover? We needed some height and some space filled. Mission accomplished!
Just don't mistake us for the smarter variety. Your judgement would be wrong.

5 comments:
Ah! I love it! Um...the Anatomy of Farm Animals?
I was thinking the same thing! You crack me up.
Ok dorks! I was an Ag Ed. major at Fresno State on my way to my teaching credential. So yes, there is a tiny amount of country girl left in me. So unless you know this tid bit about me...I promise I'm not a wierd-o. And to be honest with you...I haven't evn opened a single one of these books to see what is in them. Well, maybe the Badminton one. j/k!
You just look well read..ha! I love the angel. I bought it and gave it to my parent's for Christmas, but almost kept it.
Thanks for your nice comment about the stencils. I have made ones that say Jingle all the Way for blocks of wood and tied bells to the top with twine. I think I will do a quick tutorial for this since it really is simple. It will probably be in the next week or so!
Post a Comment